Although he barely said a word during the debates, Thomas Stone, a political moderate, is remembered for signing the Declaration of Independence. Stone, born in Charles County in 1743, studied law in Annapolis.
In 1775, he was elected to the Continental Congress. During his four-year term, he served on the framing committee for the Articles of Confederation. In 1777, he became a Maryland State Senator. He also served as chairman of the Congress of the Confederation in 1784, before returning to the state Senate.
Around this time, Stone's wife, Margaret Brown, daughter of Dr. Gustavus Brown, became ill. Because of her illness, Stone declined election to the Constitutional Convention. Margaret died in July of 1787, and Stone died in October of the same year in Alexandria, Va.
Source: Encyclopedia Americana. Grolier Online, 2003.
To empower all staff and students to take ownership of their learning and growth through collaboration, inquiry and academic achievement.
- 26% of students will score a 4 or higher on the PARCC ELA assessments
- 19% of students will score a 4 or higher on the PARCC Math assessments
- Maintain a 95% graduation rate
- Empower teacher leadership
- Effective use of formative assessment to drive daily instruction
Our mission is to provide an education which inspires responsible citizenship, leadership, and lifelong learning.
Thomas Stone’s Core Principles are:
- We believe all students are capable of learning.
- We will create an intentional culture of mutual respect, dignity, caring and concern.
- Our classrooms and school will be physically and psychologically safe places.
- We believe that our effectiveness as teachers has the greatest impact on the success of our students.
Awards and Recognitions
- State School of Character: Maryland Center for Character Education Award -Stevenson University
- National Recognition: Character Education Promising Practices 2012-2012
- Green Schools Recognition
- MESA Regional Team champions 4 out of last 5 years
- 1st Place Math Counts Team 2013
- Top 3 finisher for It’s Academic for last 3 years
- Maryland’s Safe and Supportive Schools (MDS3) Initiative
- Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS)
- 2013 SMECO – Math Teacher of the Year
- 2014 State SGA Advisor of the Year
- 2013 Charles County Vice Principal of the Year
- 2012 Charles County Science Fair Winner; 2013 Intel National Science fair participant
- 2014 State Thespian and Theater Education Teacher of the Year
- Our seniors earned more than $9 Million dollars in scholarships, grants and awards last year. TSHS students have earned more scholarships, grants, and awards per capita than students at other Charles County high schools.
Special Opportunities for Stone Students
- We are the only high school in Charles County to offer German. We offer levels I, II, III Honors and IV Honors.
- We offer AP Latin and AP Spanish. Latin students take the National Latin Exam yearly and earn certificates and medals. Last year we had two students earn awards on the National Mythology Exam.
- Our Mock Trial team went further than any other school in the history of Charles County’s participation in state-level Mock Trial competitions.
- Thomas Stone is the only high school in the county that offers American Sign Language as a class.
- TSHS JROTC is an Honor Unit with Distinction, which is the highest unit award a JROTC program can earn. This is awarded annually based on our latest formal inspection and our annual Unit Report.
- Thomas Stone is the only high school in the county to have a student-lead Writing Center that focuses on helping other students’ improve their writing.
- Due to our Character Education initiatives, our suspension rates have decreased dramatically over the last three years.
- As part of our Green Schools culture, we have multiple gardens throughout our campus maintained by a variety of student clubs.
- Project Lead the Way – BioMed Writing Center
- Project Lead the Way – Engineering Career Research and Development
- Teacher Academy of Maryland Administrative Services – Business Completer
- AVID – Advancement Via Individualized Determination
- STARS – Students Targeting Achievement through Rigor and Support
We are excited to welcome each of you into the Stone family. Thomas Stone has a long history of excellence and we can’t wait to make you a part of it.
Once a Cougar, always a Cougar!